Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tamale Pie. . .

 
Last night was our Empty Nesters FHE and this is what I took.. .Tamale Pie.  I forgot the chili beans in this photo but I did remember them in the recipe that follows.  What's included in this photo: 1# browned lean ground beef, 1 med. onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 pkg taco seasoning, 1 pint jar of home canned Mexican tomatoes, cumin, cornmeal, cheese, and 1 can of black olives.


 When I add the chili beans I don't drain them because I like the gravy and sometimes the finished product is a bit too soupy for my taste so I sprinkle flour over the concoction and thicken the juices to a nice gravy.



It doesn't look so great in this photo but it is a good meal served with tortilla chips.  
Tamale Pie
Meat Mixture:
1 # lean ground beef
cumin and salt to your taste
1 pint home canned Mexican tomatoes OR 1 1/2 store Mexican tomatoes
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 med. onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chili beans, undrained if gravy is med to thick consistency, if gravy is thin then drain. (I really like Bush's chili beans with the medium gravy)  (gravy means sauce)
1 can olives
1 1/2 c. cheese or enough to cover top
Topping:
4 c. water, milk OR broth  (I use broth or bouillon)
1 c. cornmeal

Brown ground beef, add cumin & salt to your liking
Add & mix well:   home or store bought Mexican tomatoes 
                            taco seasoning, onion & garlic
Bring to a quick boil reduce heat &simmer about 15 mins. stirring occasionally
If the mixture is too soupy for your taste sprinkle a bit of flour over the top and stir till thickened.
Cornmeal Topping:
Place 4 c. water, milk, OR broth.  (I use chicken broth) on med heat
Add 1 c. cornmeal stirring constantly until the consistency you want. I cook my a bit thick and then thin it down to a bit smoother consistency with milk.
Place meat mixture in  casserole, pour cornmeal mixture over top and spread to cover, add cheese and micro  2-3 or until cheese is melted.  
Top with sliced olives.  Makes about 6-8 servings.

                             



5 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I like the way you did the pictuers, very fun! You must do that again.
I love your tamale pie. Just curious...you did not take that yucky corn bread with the green chilies in it did you...sorry, you will never get me to like green chili cornbread!!!

NanC said...

No I didn't make Mexican Cornbread. I don't know why you don't like that combination you love green chilies and you like cornbread...
I used store bought chips 'cause I didn't have any corn tortillas to fry. That would have been so much better!

Cheyenne said...

OK WOMAN TIME FOR A NEW POST!!!

Jan said...

yeah, my computer is letting me on today!!!
I have to take some time and look at the recipes below. I do remember this one, I did enjoy it. Although I'm with Cheyenne on the whole green chile in the cornbread thing, I never could eat it that way.
Trying to call you to see what help you need with Dave's blog. I called last night but you weren't home. I couldn't get on anyways so I guess it didn't matter, I would not have been able to help. I can now though, were are you?????
Lots of love!!

NanC said...

I'm waiting till I'm in the mood for chili cheese fries. I'll take some photos. Maybe tomorrow.