Friday, February 5, 2010

Tuna Potato Chip Casserole

As a child growing up I didn’t get anywhere near a stove if I could help it. I was a tomboy and as soon as my chores were done I was out the door and on a baseball diamond, soccer field, volleyball court, fishing, riding my bicycle all over God’s creation or involved in some other adventure. I was entirely too busy to hang around a kitchen except to do dishes or sweep the floor. Mom was ok with that as I was a whiz bang at cleaning and could do that with the best of them. I did however know how to fix popcorn because it was one of my absolute favorite foods.
I was married at a tender age and still did not know how to cook. Although this was not the very first meal I fixed it was my very first casserole. The first meal and the dessert for this casserole will come in another post.

Tuna & Potato Chip Casserole - 2 servings (increase ingredients for your family size)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 c. milk
A couple T. finely chopped onion ( I also like a dash or two of garlic pepper)
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 c. crushed potato chips
1 (6 oz.) can tuna

Mix soup and milk, bring to boil.
Add onion, salt & pepper.
Butter or “Pam” a casserole dish
Alternate layers of chips and tuna.
Pour soup mixture over all and garnish top with chips.
Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Well you are the best cleaner I know of...I think growing up we did spring cleaning several times a year.
As fort the tuna casserole, 'though I am sure it was delicious, that is one dish I have never been able to stomach. The only way I can eat tuna is on a toasted sandwich with miracle whip, pickles and onion and that took me a lot of years to work up to.
Did we eat tuna very often as kids, I can't remember?
Did you ever do anything with canned salmon?

NanC said...

We didn't have much tuna when you kids were small, none of you cared for it much so I didn't fix it, although I would buy a can once in a while and make tuna salad which I don't remember anyone eating but me.

I made salmon patties which none of you kids liked either. Some of you might like them now, give it a try sometime. Mom use to fix salmon patties with fried potatoes.